Sunday, May 10, 2009

Texas State Account Planning students visit Tammadge Market Research

Focus Group Viewing Room M&Ms


by Gigi Taylor

I could talk all day to my students about focus group facilities: the focus group room, the one-way mirrors, the viewing rooms and the M&Ms, but nothing beats an actual visit to a facility to understand how focus groups work.  On April 17, several students from my Account Planning class and myself visited Tammadge Market Research in Austin, Texas. This is facility where I do most of my focus group moderation when I am work locally.

My students and I were given a tour followed by a Q&A session with CEO Terry Tammadge and VP Ken Craig.  The students listened to stories about the Austin research business as well as asked questions about qualitative research.

So what  is up with the M&Ms?  For some reason, M&Ms seem to be the official candy of focus group facilities across America.  M&Ms are in the back viewing room where clients sit in the  dark watching focus groups. Participants and the clients are divided by a one-way observation  mirror. No, the participants don't get M&Ms, but they do get a sandwich if the focus group falls during meal time.  















Bianca, Jeff, Tony with Terry Tammadge of Tammadge Market Research.

No comments: